The Techiman Municipal is one of the 260 Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) in Ghana, and forms part of the 11 of Municipalities and Districts in the Bono East Region and with its capital Techiman.
The Municipality is situated in the central part of the Bono East Region and lies between longitudes 10 49` east and 20 30` west and latitude 80 00` north and 70 35` south. The Municipal Assembly was established by Legislative Instrument (L.I) 2096 and has a land surface area of 649.0714 sq. km.
It shares common boundaries with four districts namely, Techiman North District, Wenchi and Nkronza South Municipalities in the Bono and Bono East Regions and Offinso North District in the Ashanti Region.
The population density, therefore, is 227.7 persons per square kilometer. This is very high and has implications for the socio-economic development of the Municipality.
The population of the Municipality according to the 2010 Population and Housing Census stands at 147,788 with 71,732 males and 76,056 females.
It exists to improve the quality of life of the people through the effective mobilization and utilization of human and material resources by involving the people in the provision of the needed services.
To be an efficient local Government institution in a vibrant local economy
Section 12 (3) of Local Governance Act, 2016 (ACT 936) which establishes the Assembly also mandates it to perform among other functions;
- Be responsible for the overall development of the district;
- Formulate and execute plans, programmes and strategies for the effective mobilization of the resources necessary for the overall development of the district;
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the district and remove any obstacles to initiative and development;
- Sponsor the education of students from the district to fill particular manpower needs of the district especially in the social sectors of education and health, making sure that the sponsorship is fairly and equitably balanced between male and female students;
- Initiate programmes for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the district;
- Be responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the district;
- In co-operation with the appropriate national and local security agencies, be responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the district;
- Ensure ready access to courts in the district for the promotion of justice;
- Act to preserve and promote the cultural heritage within the district
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out studies that may be necessary for the discharge of any of the duties conferred by this Act or any other enactment; and
- Perform any other functions that may be provided under another enactment.